Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Lesson From William Isaac



2 Corinthians 4:17-18

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal


I love my son. When he is happy I am happy when he is sad I am sad. Such is life as a parent.


Despite the love Britt and I have for William Isaac we are very disappointed in his decision that sleeping is for sissies. We are even more disappointed that he doesn't seem to understand that his mother and I are BIG sissies!


A few weeks ago, Billy invited me to a party at his crib at 3:00 am via screaming at the top of his lungs. When I got there I tried to calm him without picking him up but that was not working. So, I gathered up the little guy in my arms and started walking the carpets.


After pacing his room for about half an hour I decided to walk around the house. At this point I realized that Billy was in pain and his part plans had turned into a nightmare for him.


My heart broke as I realized that my baby boy was in pain, probably from his re-flux. It broke because of his pain and the realization of my callousness This entire time I had feeling nothing but frustration toward my son. So I did the only thing I know to do when I screw up, I prayed.


I prayed for forgiveness of my callousness and that, somehow, my 4 month old son would realize that what he is going through is not the end of the world, that this too shall pass.


As I finished my prayer I opened my eyes and looked out of the window of our living room. As I pondered the beauty of the moonlight it happened. The Lord gave me a Holy Head slap! I could almost hear Him say, "That's what I have been trying to teach you!" What you are going through with work, raising Billy, and everything are only light and momentary troubles!" Feeling like more of a baby than my 4 month old, I began to weep.


As we go throughout our days, I pray that we all try to gain an eternal perspective on our own "light and momentary troubles." Not negating the pain but realizing that our Joy is not dependent on outside circumstances but who we are in Christ. This eternal perspective helps us to understand that we are those "jars of clay" that Paul talks about. Even though we may be fallible, fragile, and prone to weakness the Lord still trusts us to carry His message. Perhaps He uses us broken people "to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."


So, if you are feeling "hard pressed on every side" know that the Holy Spirit can give you the strength to not be crushed. If you are at a cross roads and perplexed, do not despair, the God who created the universe can guide you. If you are feeling persecuted, we are not abandoned. We do not serve a God who is distant form our sufferings but suffers with us, as Jesus did on the cross. And even if you have been struck down, you will never be destroyed (2 Corinthians 4:7-9). As Jesus suffers with us on the cross we can share in His victory because the same Holy Spirit that Raised Him from the grave can live within you and me.
He can live within us so that nothing can stop us from living out His love in our lives. Not flat tires, bad traffic, sleepless nights from crib parties at 3:00 am, or even death itself!


How is the Lord overcoming your light and momentary troubles?

No comments:

Post a Comment